next release and release pace in general

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Sun Feb 10 11:08:24 GMT 2013

On Sunday 10 February 2013 11:50:26 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> Now that I have said that. I guess the current problem is that the current
> policy for releases is to have four months between "branching". Instead, we
> could replace that policy by four months between the last major .0 release
> and the next targetted release.
>
> In this case that would mean, 2.7.0 release the 5th of June, for a
> branching on the 27th of April. Instead of branching on 22nd of February.
For me that would be an acceptable compromise

I don't particularly buy that we should base our release schedule on users.
Sure if users were the only party in this, but it's more important to take
care of the development process, and if the developers don't have time to both
work on bug fixing and features then we don't have anything to give the users
because then the developers looses interest eventually.

It's no fun to always be in release mode.
It's fun to bring stability and joy to users with releases
It's fun to bring new features to users with releases

I think the above compromise tries to cater for both devs and users, so let's
try that for a couple of releases and see how that goes.

I actually have a good feeling about it

Boemann