2.6.0 tag is set on...

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 4 18:27:13 GMT 2013

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Inge Wallin wrote:

> But there is something you are missing: If there was such an important bug and
> you didn't feel comfortable reenabling at that time we could instead have
> requested a move of the tagging one day forward. That would have given time to
> test the fix better and even re-fix it if more problems had been discovered.

It's an important bug, but perhaps not an important feature. It's just an
export filter, it doesn't impair working with Words.

And frankly, something that is so broken so shortly before a release
shouldn't push the release out, but but be disabled.

> I do think that Author and Words in the long run will have less and less
> overlap in the userbase. The reason is the different focus we will have when
> choosing features to implement and also how they are implemented UI wise. I do
> also think that it will share an awful lot of technology, of course, which
> makes it reasonable that we do our share of the library work. And I do think
> we have done our share there.
>
> But Author is not only a binary. It's also a promise for the future. By
> creating a new application and a announcing it, we have given a voice to a new
> category of users who previously weren't interested in Calligra at all. That
> can only be good.

But we're releasing an application suite, not a promise, not a focus. We
really should stop releasing stuff that's clearly not ready.Just try to
imagine the reviews:

"Calligra releases another version of their never-ready application suite.
Instead of finally putting some polish on their existing applications,
they have decided to add yet another application to their ever-growing
collection of software."

Want to bet on something very similar, appearing in at least two reviews?

> Now, regarding the situation at hand, I don't think that a new RC is the way
> to go. That would hurt the rest of Calligra more than it's worth. So if I have
> to choose between releasing yet another RC or wait 2 weeks to get the mobi
> filter I choose the former. So let's do that.

So, do you want another RC or wait 2 weeks for the bugfix release? In
either case, you have to wait 2 weeks.

Boudewijn