Idea: Logo-like script language for Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Apr 15 19:07:34 BST 2013

We have had a couple of things like that: the lindenmayer brush by Adam Celarek: http://celarek.at/2012/01/lindenmayer-brush-for-krita/ and the OpenRijn language by Cyrille Berger: https://redmine.opengtl.org/projects/opengtl/repository/show/OpenRijn. Also, our previous scripting plugin at one point supported scripted painting.

> What do you think about this idea?

Well... It's interesting, obviously, but personally, I'm not too sold on it, because...

> Do you think it would be useful?
> Could you find any interesting use cases for that feature?

Actually, Krita users are painting. They are not deeply into generative art, but into creating art with their own hands. So, the usecases would be at most experimental, and would hardly fit in the main distribution of Krita.

> Someone would be interested in helping with implementing/maintaining that?

I doubt that. We have had many interesting experiments that somehow didn't end up being maintained in the end, ranging from the scripting plugin to the painterly colorspaces. I would be hesitant to take on something like this.

Now, a real scripting plugin that allows extending the gui, and for instance layer manipulation, that would be awesome. For instance, the new layergroup changer should have been a script, of course, not a C++ plugin.

--
Boudewijn Rempt