Idea for alternative Calligra deployment option

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Apr 10 18:01:10 BST 2013

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 15:24:15 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> A new week, a new idea.
> Having seen a novel approach of the sailfishOS SDK using two
> virtualboxes (for the toolchain and the simulator) improving
> modularity I came to idea of shipping the "always newest stable"
> calligra installation on a minimal virtualized linux OS with
> autoupdate coming in a matter of hours, not months.
>
> That's an idea for alternative Calligra deployment option for modern
> hardware. Calligra is a huge software with numerous dependencies.
> We're reaching a catch-22 situation when even the KDE-friendly
> opensuse by default ships Calligra 2.4.
>
> Thoughts?

Interesting idea but I see some problems with integration...  How would this
work with:
 - language settings in your machine?
 - Window manager and other applications? Or would the virtual machine always
work in full screen?
 - Devices that have none or bad support in VM's (specifically some graphics
cards which might be important when running e.g. Krita).
 - Cut&Paste to/from other applications?