Porting to Qt5

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue Apr 9 07:29:47 BST 2013

On 04/09/2013 03:36 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2013-04-08, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>>> Doesn't that lose all support for OSV and admin default values, immutable
>>> settings, build time generated config access instead of typo-prone string
>>> based access, and so on?
>> None of which are actually used in Calligra, as far as I can tell... But
>> please go back to the rest of the discussion, this point was already
>> discussed with Sebastian. We'll likely make some kind of shim to chose
>> between kconfig or qsettings.
> Sorry, didn't want to bring up something already closed, I am not following
> this list that closely.
> Just saw this in the list and remembered a lengthy discussion on this on the
> frameworks-devel list.

And its important to raise voice and point out anything we may missing.
So, thanks.

For "immutable not used by Calligra": Actually it is since it comes for
free :) The trick here is that with KConfig you can build up
config-chains like having a single specific global setting (that applies
then to all user-accounts on the system) and user-specific overwrites.
An administrator can then mark a single config-item in that global
settings as immutable. Then for that specific config-item the global
setting will be preferred over the users config whereas all other
non-immutable config-items can still be overwritten by the user.

Only wrote that as explanation / closer for those interested in that
topic not as argument for anything.