License of your icons for KFormula

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 17:51:23 BST 2012

Hi Torsten, Yuri and Abhishek,

Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 20:51:37 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> just a few years ago (well, a whopping decade) you commited these icons for
> the KOffice formula shape:
> 	http://websvn.kde.org/?view=revision&revision=185694
>
> Your work was that good that it still lives on in Calligra :)
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/calligra/repository/revisions/master/show/
> plugins/formulashape/pics/hicolor
>
> And now even new, so far missing icons have been derived from your's and are
> awaiting their commit to the repo. But this poses a problem:
>
> What is the license of your icons?
>
> All the files of /trunk/koffice/lib/kformula seem to be LGPL2+, but this
> does not automatically tag your icons with the same license, or?
> In http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/koffice/?pathrev=185694 there are both
> COPYING and COPYING.LIB, so this does also not help. Or is there another
> license note, which is valid here?
>
> So could you please state what the license of your icons is?
> In a way which makes this reliable, perhaps by copying calligra-devel, so
> it's in public archives?

Just a few moments after I asked you, Torsten, a few seconds ago to help to
find where it is documented that you licensed them under the BSD license, as
you said in a private email, I found that actually all icons seem even in the
public domain (or?):

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic contains all
these kformula icons, and the license for them, as given in the toplevel dir,
is this:

--- 8< ---
The images inside this directory are COMPLETELY FREE for commercial and non-
commercial use.
Clarification: this means you can copy, modify and redistribute them.
--- 8< ---
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeartwork/IconThemes/kdeclassic/LICENSE?view=markup

So could you, Yuri, commit your new formula icons now to the Calligra repo and
reference that statement and maybe even reuse this licensing for your icons?

Abhishek, any comments on the new icons, will your work conflict with them
somehow?
Cmp. http://lists.kde.org/?t=134190741200001&r=1&w=2 and the attachments:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=calligra-devel&m=134408724126018&q=p3
http://lists.kde.org/?l=calligra-devel&m=134416484611583&q=p3