Welcome dialog prevents immediate use of application

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 12:04:08 BST 2012

On Wednesday 24 Oct 2012 12:51:18 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> I also considered this for Kexi - to show empty tabular view like in
> spreadsheets, to enable data entry *immediately*, but for this I need
> ad-hoc table creation, which is only
> a nice dream for now. That would further lower the barrier for users,
> what's the the goal for Kexi and interesting study in itself.
>
> Most probably the wrong feeling comes from the fact that many apps in
> both MS Office and Libre Office skip welcome screens.

Maybe, but welcome screens can be made to give much more confidence in the
application, and to avoid getting in the way of the user's desire to explore:

http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qtcreator-2.6/creator-quick-tour.html

The most important points are:

* Non-modal (although plenty of functionality may be unavailable until the
user engages with the dialog)
* Colourful: we want to avoid overworking the logic, reading, information
processing, etc... part of the user's brain: plenty of large recognisable
images make it more engaging.

Paul