Architecture Refactor Suggestion: Bigger reorganization

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Oct 23 08:24:29 BST 2012

On Tuesday 23 October 2012 Oct, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:18:22 +0200, Sven Langkamp
> <sven.langkamp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se>
> wrote:
> >
> >> What type of non-Qt dependency do we have now that would be done away
> >> with?
> >

> > There are a few dependencies that should be reorganized in the future.
> For
> > Krita we got lots of complain that we install to many dependencies like
> > kdepimlibs or mysql, which have no use in Krita.
>
> That is an area where KDEF5 should brings improvements, by bringing more
> modularity, applications should be able to only depend on what they need.

I'm not sure what distributions are going to do, though. If rdf is an optional dependency for komain, then I guess they'll always compile komain with rdf support -- which brings a host of dependencies an application like plan or krita doesn't need. And if calligralibs is one package, it'll include all the libraries and so all the dependencies.

We really need to think this through -- I think the only way to do that efficiently would be to have a sprint dedicated to a source/dependency reorganization once frameworks 5 is in a state where we can start using it.

--
Boudewijn Rempt