Architecture Refactor Suggestion: App-irrelevent Format Filters

Yue Liu yue.liu at mail.com
Sun Oct 21 05:49:27 BST 2012

Hi,

Currently filters are loaded based on application's native mime-type.
And now we have multiple applications with same native format, such as
Karbon and Flow, Words and Authors. Applications with same native
format should have same set of format filters, but format filter codes
are sorted under application categories.

So I suggest change it from current structure

filters/xxx_app/[im,ex]port/xxx_filter

filters/xxx2xxx

And tell distributions package filters as one component, not with
apps, to avoid conflicts between same-format apps. At least Arch and
Chakra is already doing it this way.

Note: this is a problem for some Karbon filters, since they used
KarbonPart to access shapes for shape painting. We can modify
KoDocument::paintContent(painter, rect) to do that instead.

Best Regards,
Yue Liu