Week of polish

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Tue Oct 9 20:13:03 BST 2012

On Tuesday, October 09, 2012 21:08:13 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Monday 08 October 2012 02:29:02 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > At 13th of April Boemann suggested an informal sprint to take care of the
> > bugs in the calligracommons module since they "normally fall outside the
> > itches each of us like to scratch".
> >
> > To make a long story short, this sprint happened before the release of
> > Calligra 2.5 and it was a great success. More than 100 bugs were fixed
> > and Calligra was improved a lot in the process.
> >
> > Now I suggest that we do the same for 2.6 except we concentrate on
> > usability problems, visual glitches and other misfeatures. In short:
> > polish.
> >
> > I am tired of seeing reviews saying "Calligra has a great potential but
> > is unpolished". Let's take the step from potential to maturity!
> >
> > I suggest that we use the first week after 2.6beta and the branching,
> > which is on Oct 26th. That means monday the 29th of October to sunday
> > the 4th of November.
> >
> > What do you say?
>
> Yup, sounds like a great idea! I guess I can be of help there as well when
> it comes to usability issues?

Indeed you can!

I suggest that we use some time before the sprint to collect issues (and maybe
fix a few of them as well).

Regarding the timing, I still suggest to use the first week after the
branching because before that there will be a feature frenzy. All experience
says that. But the point about translations is well taken so maybe we can push
back the string freeze a little. I'm not sure that we need to move the actual
release back because realistically there will be less than 20 new or changed
strings. That is almost nothing compared to the much much bigger number of
strings in Calligra in general.