Using Sheets as a library

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Nov 26 20:20:13 GMT 2012

On Monday 26 November 2012 Nov, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 10:29 +0100, Inge Wallin wrote:
>
> Hi Inge,
>
> > The idea is that all of Sheets and in fact all of Calligra should be under
> > LGPL.  There are a couple of exceptions, mostly for historical reasons: Krita
> > and a couple of 3rd party libraries.
>
> What is important in that case is that Sheets does not link with any
> code of those programs or libraries, like Krita, that are for historical
> reasons right now GPL.

Yeah... Krita's license is past praying for. We've had so many people who've worked on it, some of whom have gone and disappeared to find themselves in ashrams and kibbutzes. Krita's license is not going to change -- but nothing else links to Krita's libraries, so that should be fine.

> If Sheets code does need to link with any of those then the current
> license of Sheets would already funnily be in violation with the GPL
> license of for example Krita ;-).
>
> The viral nature of the GPL would in that case mean that Sheet's license
> is again GPL and not LGPL.

Outch... It must be a mistake, but let's see.

> Yes. I however wonder how the Calligra team would prefer the patches to
> be. I could restructure the entire project so that it becomes multiple
> projects (I don't recommend this direction),

That's probably not the first step. Though, in fact, it's one of the long-term plans: to make calligra into a platform and a set of applications.

> or I could just make
> adaptations to the CMakeFile.txt in sheets/ and the libraries that
> calligrasheetscommon.so depends on, and adapt the CMakeFile.txt of them
> all to also install the .h files in a directory in /usr/include, for
> example /usr/include/calligra/sheets for Sheets.

I would like to see that.

--
Boudewijn Rempt