"Uncompressed XML Files" format variants

Jos van den Oever jos.van.den.oever at kogmbh.com
Mon Nov 12 14:22:01 GMT 2012

On 11/12/2012 01:34 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would propose to remove the option "Uncompressed XML Files" for non-
> developer buils, or positively said, only enable it for developer builds.
> Reasoning:
> * only confuses the user ("what is the difference to compressed?")
> * cannot be opened in other ODF programs
> * results in data without a mimetype, so badly shown in filemanagers/-dialogs
> * no/wrong thumbnails (for content.xml or directory)
>
> Anyone objecting to this? If not, I will finish/prepare a patch and upload for
> review which adds support for uncompressed/directory store formats only in
> developer-like builds. Such a build I assume if NDEBUG is _not_ set. Or any
> better idea what the condition should be?
>
> And while I twist around with that code I would like to change what filename
> is used as id for a document in uncompressed files format, which is currently
> "content.xml". But this id is also used in the window title and in the recent
> documents list so it makes life not easy if there is multiple times just
> "content.xml". I would change the code to use the name of the base dir
> instead.

LibreOffice support fodt (the whole contents in one xml file) and a
standardized way to store ODF in a flat XML file. Using that format
instead of the current uncompressed format seems like a good compromise
which will still allow people to store the files in a version control
system nicely.

Cheers,
Jos