"Uncompressed XML Files" format variants

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Nov 12 14:19:01 GMT 2012

On Monday, November 12, 2012 01:34:03 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would propose to remove the option "Uncompressed XML Files" for non-
> developer buils, or positively said, only enable it for developer builds.
> Reasoning:
> * only confuses the user ("what is the difference to compressed?")
> * cannot be opened in other ODF programs
> * results in data without a mimetype, so badly shown in
> filemanagers/-dialogs * no/wrong thumbnails (for content.xml or directory)
>
> Anyone objecting to this? If not, I will finish/prepare a patch and upload
> for review which adds support for uncompressed/directory store formats
> only in developer-like builds. Such a build I assume if NDEBUG is _not_
> set. Or any better idea what the condition should be?

I am against it for Calligra Author. The reason being that it's a good format
if you want to collaborate on a document and want to be able to follow the
changes in a version control system.

The documentation team decided to use this format for the Author / Words
documentation.

I have no opinion for the other applications.

> And while I twist around with that code I would like to change what
> filename is used as id for a document in uncompressed files format, which
> is currently "content.xml". But this id is also used in the window title
> and in the recent documents list so it makes life not easy if there is
> multiple times just "content.xml". I would change the code to use the name
> of the base dir instead.

A good compromise would be if the content.xml is kept as filename for the
actual content but that the directory where it's saved gets the document name.
So if the user wants to "Save as..." and gives a filename it actually creates
a directory with this name.

I agree that it's kind of technical (and may actually confuse some users) but
I still think that for Author's audience it makes sense.