<office:annotation> - ODF usability limitation / current support

matus.uzak at gmail.com matus.uzak at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:34:38 BST 2012

Hi,

I could use some help from our ODF gurus.

I tried to fix a few annotation related issues on PPTX files reported
on the test server with the following result.

The current status is that we only support annotations as created by
OOo/LO, that means <officeooo:annotation> instead of
<office:annotation>.
I would guess the reason is interoperability, because OOo/LO ignores
<office:annotation>.  Not a problem to fix this on our side.

More important is that OOo/LO do not follow ODF 1.2 and place
<officeooo:annotation> outside of <text:p> or <text:list>.  Consider
the fact that
there are svg:x and svg:y attributes to position the annotation.  And
that a slide as defined in MS PowerPoint is comprised of shapes.
I think that the ODF spec. seems to be too much MS Word oriented in
means of annotation.  An annotation or comment is always enclosed in a
paragraph
there (as any other element) and a paragraph might be a list item.

I suggest to support such invalid ODP documents and to continue create
them to maintain interoperability with OOo/LO.
And to make a aproposal to the ODF TC to update the usability
limitation for <office:annotation>.

14.1 <office:annotation>

The <office:annotation> element is usable within the following elements:
<text:h> 5.1.2, <text:meta> 6.1.9, <text:meta-field> 7.5.19, <text:p> 5.1.3,
<text:ruby-base> 6.4.2 and <text:span> 6.1.7.

br,

-matus uzak