calligra-devel Digest, Vol 19, Issue 67

Garima Joshi gjoshi0311 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 23:39:47 BST 2012

Hi,
I went through the paper and few more related articles. And as Boemann
already mentioned, many of the features are under ongoing work in
link-grammar which is undergoing research and implementation in OpenCog NLP
subsystem.
It already uses probabilistic approach
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/link/pub/www/papers/ps/gram3gram.pdf
but the APP/EPP and distorted treebank methods described in the paper
promises better error detection and many shortcomings of link-grammar like
inability to handle quotations, long-run sentences etc. are resolved here.

So, my views are if we want a really good parser we can work on
link-grammar parser as base and we can take help from link-grammar people
also. There are few more available parsers which can be used for help like
maximum entropy based statistical parser like Charniak & Bikel parser.

Or the other option can be we can implement link-grammar parser in our
grammarchecker plugin and as link-grammar will improve, accordingly user
can update his/her version of link-grammar. We can still help to improve
the parser.

I also went through a paper regarding LanguageTool which is a rule-based
grammar checker
http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/download/style_and_grammar_checker.pdf
it has an advantage that is, it is available in many languages. Still I
think link-grammar is better.

I need to read the paper a few more times to understand it completely.
Waiting for suggestions and opinions.
:)