Grammar checker in CalligraWords.

Garima Joshi gjoshi0311 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 18:46:03 BST 2012

Hi,
Here are some ideas based on my research done regarding available libraries
for grammar check in calligra words. We need to implement a grammar
checking plugin named grammarcheck inside calligra/plugins/textediting.
This plugin will be based on the spell check plugin and will have some
code, for example, the text highlighting code in common.

One option is grammarcheck plugin will use the link-grammar library already
used by AbiWord, which provides an API to parse sentences, tokenize them,
and provide linkages as result. This library has been customized by AbiWord
to serve the purpose of grammar checking in documents. This is a link to
the project
http://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/
Here is some documentation for the API
http://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/api/index.html

This documentation, along with the AbiWord source code itself (the part
that integrates the link-grammar parser and checker), can serve as a good
example as to how to integrate the library in our grammarcheck plugin.

http://svn.abisource.com/abiword/trunk/plugins/grammar/linkgrammarwrap/
http://svn.abisource.com/abiword/trunk/plugins/grammar/xp/

Another option is LanguageTool can be used to implement grammarcheck.
http://www.languagetool.org/ <http://www.languagetool.org/usage/>
It is already used as a plugin to OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice.
We will write a wrapper in order to use LanguageTool.
http://www.languagetool.org/development/api/
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Grammar_Checking
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/languagetool<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/languagetool>

The implementation details of this proposal will be more detailed as
I investigate the source codes(mentioned in the above links) further.

The plugin will function on the basis of a pre-supplied dictionary.
On the usability part, the plugin can be turned on/off at will of the user,
and different grammar mistakes which are highlighted can be chosen to be
ignored (once, or always). Also, there maybe an option to auto detect
language context, that will understand if the language currently being
written in is English, and only then turn on grammar checking accordingly.

I need suggestions on which library to use for grammar check support in
calligra words. Above are the two possible options which i prefer. Any
other library or any suggestions are welcome.