Please update http://kde.org/applications/office/

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Mon May 7 19:06:20 BST 2012

2012/5/7 Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>:
> On 7 May 2012 17:23, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
>> On Monday 07 May 2012, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>> I feel there's simple reason why these pages are out of date and even
>>> if fixed soon, will be get outdated quickly again. Redundant vs
>>> userbase. Let's fix this problem somehow first, e.g. by only having
>>> minimal information at kde.org. E.g. I wouldn't like to maintain
>>> feature list of Kexi on userbase and
>>> http://kde.org/applications/office/kexi/.
>> You should discuss that issue with the webteam.
>
> OK CC'd kde-www - guys please explain what's the idea behind copying
> userbase now.

Cyrille does get it quite good below.

>> Right now, we just want to be
>> put in the best light on kde.org (or any light). But my guess is that the
>> kde.org page is supposed to be minimal and changes barely, meaning the list of
>> features should be minimal and very broad, while the userbase page would have
>> a more detailed version.

Exactly. The benefit of having a detailed version on userbase is
rather simple: there is a great ... userbase which updates content
regularly. At least more than on some json file or in closed down
websites. ;)

> For me, Userbase is the minimal page,while krita.org/kexi-project.org
> are default pages. Same for KDevelop, and any larger project that has
> its own page. Other projects can treat userbase as the start page but
> this is case-by-case.

That is of course up to the project to decide what is a valuable
information resource. The idea was once (some years back) raised to
have a central place for information about any KDE app. And be it only
a list of further links, which is possible, as you can see in the
sidebar of the app pages.
Afterall, we are talking about ~80 different subdomains for KDE, most
of them app or project specific ones. Not easy for a plain user to
find what s/he wants.

> So kde.org adds nothing more than a visit card -like info for apps, so
> in order to fight the chaos I am considering to indeed leave only
> visit card -like info there for my maintained app.

I assume you are talking about the kde.org page. Like you said, it is
up to you. A simple feature list or even just a description with
updated links for further information is fine. Afterall, we are only
talking about a json file ;)
It should at least fullfill what a new user expects or wishes to see
there, preferably without clicking through 3 sites.

> --
> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
>  Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
>  KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)

Cheerio,
Ingo