Calligra (Sheets) program icon inconsistencies

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Wed May 2 15:59:12 BST 2012

On Wednesday 02 May 2012 16:10:31 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ((__Missing icon in About dialog for Calligra Sheets__))
>
> in master the program icon set in the code (implicitely by KAboutData) for
> Calligra sheets is wrong (KAboutData uses the first ("appName") parameter
> to KAboutData, unless overwritten with "setProgramIconName(...)").
> So it is "sheets", not "kspread", see e.g. the "About Calligra Sheets"
> entry in the "Help" submenu (culprit code in sheets/part/AboutData.h).
>
> I assume the correct fix would be to change the names of all the
> 	sheets/data/pics/*kspread.png
> 	sheets/data/pics/*sheets.png
> and adapt any usages of "kspread" as icon id/name to "sheets" (like in the
> .desktop files). Guess that needs to be backported to 2.4 as well.
>
> Shall I provide a patch for that?
>

> ((__General icon/logo (style) mismatch between programs and website__))
>
> But:
> looking at the icon (names) of the other Calligra programs I also wonder:
>
> Why does the Words program icon have a new/other style than e.g. Stage and
> Sheets? Are there no updated icons for Stage and Sheets as well?
Nope only Words have an updated icon yet. Well Krita has too but somehow it's
not installed

> And why again do all icons look different from the program icons/logo on
> http://calligra.org/ ?
You mean the plate they are on. Yes I don't like that at all either.

> Those seem to be the icon/logo still from the latest KOffice design update,
> and for that reason are also used on http://koffice.org/, not perfect.
Not at all be Work is being done to fix this.

> So there has not been a design update of all the program icons after the
> split of Calligra, just the Calligra icon/logo is new, right? Where is the
> Words icon from then?
Correct, And the Words icon It's actually an old KWord icon too from before
the current icon set. I don't think it was ever released.

> Anyone (with good contacts to artists) working on that front? Or has work
> been done and just not yet completely brought into the repository?
Yes I've been working with Bugsbane on irc

We already have a proposal for Karbon, and currently working on Stage. We will
work on Sheets too before finalizing Stage so it get's consistent. The original
intention of Bugsbane and me was to keep the current Words icon, but depending
on how the other two icons go it's certainly possible that Words will have new
or at least modified icons too.