Using the Tables brand/trade name for a spreadsheet application

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed Mar 7 11:14:13 GMT 2012

On 03/07/2012 11:38 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2012 Mar, Tables (mails) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Daniel Schwill and I'm the developer of a spreadsheet application called Tables for Mac OS X. I'm using the brand/trade name Tables for my spreadsheet application since 2004/2005. I just recognized that you released a spreadsheet application called Tables as part of the Calligra project.
>>
>> Before choosing a name for an application it could be a good idea to use google and search that name. When you search for "Tables" or "Tables spreadsheet" for example you'll find many links to my spreadsheet application on the first page of the search results.
>>
>> Choosing a name for a new spreadsheet application that is already in use by an existing spreadsheet application will irritate customers and cause confusion. As my spreadsheet application Tables and the Calligra project are both available on Mac OS X I ask you to rename your spreadsheet application to avoid confusion of names between my spreadsheet application and the spreadsheet application of the Calligra project.
> Well, I guess we'll have to rename now -- though I have to say that by checking with google's search tools, this tables app didn't show up when we originally chose the name, which means we couldn't know about it.
Yes [1]

To continue where we stopped last time I would suggest to first discuse
what may good names[2] and then, if we cannot agree to one, vote.

Here is the list from last time with some comments I remember from last
time or have myself;

1. Abacus
=> iirc there was the problem that there is already a
spreadsheet-application named like this. So that would remove it as
option to play fair.

2. Spreads

3. Tables
=> that one is not an option any longer.

4. Grids

5. Kiire (estonian for quick)

6. Blocks loses to Abacus by 8–0, loses to Kiire (estonian for quick) by 4–3
=> there exists KBlocks which is KDE tetris-like game in kdegames...

7. Boxes

8. Formula / formulas

9. Flats

10. Numbers n shit loses to Abacus by 8–0, loses to Flats by 4–2
=> I would not see that as serious proposal, or? I mean I think an
application should not be named "shit"... maybe make it "sheet" if you
like something else?

[1] Just as side-note; I do not think that Tables is a brand that could
be protected but we should play fair.
[2] imho every voice/opinion/suggestion is more then welcome. better
more input then lesser. We could also make that a dot-story to collect
names or a KDE forums entry or....