GSoC idea

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 24 08:41:10 GMT 2012

On Friday, 2012-02-24, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 05:59 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> >> If dbus is not available for windows and OSX then we can rule that out.
> >
> > Well, actually dbus _is_ available on both Windows and OSX.
>
> 1. re Windows; Not per default what means you need to ship your own
> version of it in the installer. If any app does that then it completely
> voids what dbus is for.

This is mainly a packaging question. I think even on Linux each D-Bus client
has an (indirect) dependency on the D-Bus daemon.

The Windows way of doing this kind of shared dependencies seems to be to
include an installer for the shared component which either checks if it has to
perform its task or the main installer checks if it has to run the component
one.

> 2. re OSX; my knowledge is a few years old but back then when I hacked
> on dbus making it running at >=Vista I did not found a single line of
> code that handles OSX. But I can imagine that it changed meanwhile. In
> any case I doubt it's well maintained and it definitively is not straith
> forward to work on that code-base.

My guess would be that it is the exact same code as on Linux, OSX does have
Unix domain sockets, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring