GSoC idea

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Feb 23 13:47:26 GMT 2012

On 23 February 2012 13:31, Smit Patel <smitpatel24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to propose a GSoC project. Here's the brief description about
> project idea.
> Provide a dbus API that provides an generic interface that can be used by
> external bibliography engines (xbiblio, kbibtex, bibus)
> Calligra words doesn't have a good way to manage references. These engines
> can manage references and insert bibliography using interface provided.

Hello,
That's nice idea. First question - would you see this as a project
emploing databases (e.g. SQLite) and adding some GUIs?
If so I am proposing a high-level layer on top of Calligra, i.e. used
by Kexi (KexiDB/Predicate), because regardless of what are your ideas,
Kexi _eventually_ will have bibliography module written in Kexi
itself, just like LibreOffice's bibligraphy is implemented on top of
LibreOffice (Base) foundations itself.

Regarding dbus I am not sure it is so useful as data
sharing/transmitting layer, it's an IPC after all. It's not like ODBC
and never was designed for this. From time to time I see such attempts
to relate these two distinct tools.

Moreover, a better approach at the moment would be to discuss what
'good managing references' means for us, and not such a detail as
IPC/storage. I mentioned Predicate only because of assumed integration
with Calligra, to show that there're tools in hand already available.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek