GSoC idea

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Thu Feb 23 13:36:07 GMT 2012

On 02/23/2012 01:31 PM, Smit Patel wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to propose a GSoC project. Here's the brief description about
> project idea.
> Provide a dbus API that provides an generic interface that can be used
> by external bibliography engines (xbiblio, kbibtex, bibus)

dbus is optional[1] and so would be everything that depends on it. So,
why dbus? Why not just a plugin? If it should be in another process
(stability, long-running things, shared among Words-processes, etc) then
why not for example QLocalServer?

> Calligra words doesn't have a good way to manage references. These
> engines can manage references and insert bibliography using interface
> provided.

Guess there would be quit some work needed in core-code to make it
proper update references on loading/saving/editing. Does what ODF
specifies cover what you propose? If yes then it should maybe not be
optional and no be available for so many platforms[1]. If not then how
to you plan to keep interoperability? I think your proposal includes

> I like comments and hints for this project idea.

I like the idea (except the dbus-part) and while I think there are many
things that could be done within a gsoc and have a higher priority I
think it would make a good gsoc-proposal.

[1] not available on Symbian, Android, OSX and Windows at least