Rebasing of work branches allowed?

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Feb 15 15:30:31 GMT 2012

On 15 February 2012 10:04, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in other projects I have got used to the habit that, when updating a work
> branch to the lastest changes in the master branch, to rather rebase the work
> branch to the master branch instead of merging the commits from it, to keep a
> clean history in the branch itself, which I have found useful.
>
> Is this approach allowed/supported for the Calligra repo? I would then do that
> with "my" filters-karbon-cdr branch.
>
> On other notes:
> I accidentally pushed an old branch "CDRImport" to the official repo. But it
> seems I cannot remove it again? Could someone with the proper super-powers
> please help out?

Hi,
I think you cannot edit history (rebase) once you made it publish
because others might have fetched it already,
i.e. you can rebase locally before you push; and this is what I do for
the reason you expained.

So it's too late if you already pushed.

In contrast, in case of master I am merging, not rebasing, to have
single 'merge' commit marking, well, the logical merge action.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek