CDR import - map to what format?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 09:36:28 GMT 2012

Hi Thorsten,

Am Samstag, 11. Februar 2012, 05:02:29 schrieb Thorsten Zachmann:
> On Friday, February 10, 2012 13:19:16 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so I have been progressing a little bit with the CDR import filter, I
> > know more and more about the format. Still not enough to render the
> > first things in their place, but e.g. I can now access all raw text,
> > both from graphic text objects as block text objects.
> >
> > I also turned to stream some SVG as output from the filter, as I could
> > not create a Karbon working-memory document directly without many
> > hacks.
> >
> > Just, I have found out now that mapping to SVG as a native Karbon format
> > does not really work, without losing information. In CDR possible, but
> > not Karbon: * multiple pages
>
> One way to work around this limition would be to load each page into a
> different layer. There are already some filters doing that.

Works for my files I think, but maybe not for everyone else :/

> > * text block element (non-graphic text)
>
> That is saved as ArtisticTextShape in svg as a short text shows. That means
> if you save it in svg you will not be able to have it as text shape.

Yes, and not really what I want (for my files).

> > * rectangles have more properties than svg rectangle shape¹
>
> To support that you can use a enhanced path shape (a feature of odf). Not
> sure how much work it is to map the shape from cdr to odf. Or just convert
> the shape to a path shape. That will leave you will a correctly displayed
> shape but it will loose the ability to have special ways of editing

Just display might not satisfy everyone, so enhanced path shape I will be
looking at.

> > * objects can be auto-updated clones
> >
> >   (not yet seen, just remember this feature)
> >
> > ¹
> > http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/support-for-corel-draw-files-i
> > n- free-software-gets-another-chance (section "The hard part")
> >
> > So what do I do about that? For the rectangles I would have guessed I
> > could try to write a custom shape which supports all those properties.
> > The text blocks could have been the TextShape, but how would those be
> > loaded from SVG? What about the multiple pages?
> >
> > Also, seems there is no odg import filter for Karbon. Noone working on
> > this? ODG (which seems to also support multiple pages, at least
> > LibreOffice draw allows this) not yet supported?
>
> Flow does allow loading multiple page.

Until Karbon does at well, that might be a workaround. But then those program
concepts are just work-flow artifacts, given the composed nature of the
document type :)

> The way to go depends on what you think is more needed. If you want to use
> some effects on your shapes then svg might be the better solution. If that
> might not be needed the odg might be the better choice.

So those effects cannot be mapped to ODG? Could't I simply embed SVG into ODG?

Cheers
Friedrich