CDR import - map to what format?

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 14:23:37 GMT 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so I have been progressing a little bit with the CDR import filter, I know
> more and more about the format. Still not enough to render the first
> things in
> their place, but e.g. I can now access all raw text, both from graphic text
> objects as block text objects.
>
> I also turned to stream some SVG as output from the filter, as I could not
> create a Karbon working-memory document directly without many hacks.
>
> Just, I have found out now that mapping to SVG as a native Karbon format
> does
> not really work, without losing information. In CDR possible, but not
> Karbon:
> * multiple pages
> * text block element (non-graphic text)
> * rectangles have more properties than svg rectangle shape¹
> * objects can be auto-updated clones
>  (not yet seen, just remember this feature)
>
> ¹
> http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/support-for-corel-draw-files-in-
> free-software-gets-another-chance (section "The hard part")
>
> So what do I do about that? For the rectangles I would have guessed I could
> try to write a custom shape which supports all those properties. The text
> blocks could have been the TextShape, but how would those be loaded from
> SVG?
> What about the multiple pages?
>
> Also, seems there is no odg import filter for Karbon. Noone working on
> this?
> ODG (which seems to also support multiple pages, at least LibreOffice draw
> allows this) not yet supported?

Odg is a native format in Karbon. You can open any odg files, the only
limitation is that only one page is opened. Flow can open odg files with
multiple pages. That's also a reason why in earlier discussion it was
suggested to convert to a file and not directly to the memory model. That
way Karbon and Flow could make use of the filter.

SVG doesn't support multiple pages. With odg pages and text blocks could be
done much better. So I would suggest that you try to use odg as target file
format.

That would also have the advantage that LibreOffice and Calligra could use
it. With the same target format it would be possible to merge your work and
libcdr, so the whole work could be shared.