Making dbus optional in Calligra

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Feb 8 10:50:33 GMT 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> And yes, well, of course there are platform-local ways of ipc, on windows
> and android that we might want to use instead of dbus, if there is demand
> for it.

I talked about this with Holger Schöder at FOSDEM.

I'm not 100% sure it's technically viable (I don't know DBUS that well),
but here is the idea: let's implement a libdbusfat which offers the libdbus
API on one side but talks to a native IPC service on the other side. That
way we could get rid of the dbus-daemon process and use the platform IPC
facilities. For each platform, a different "native IPC side" would be
implemented: on Windows it could be COM, on Android something else, etc

I've attached a couple of screenshots with diagrams of what we currently
have and what I am proposing.

I do not have spare time enough to implement this, though.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org