Making dbus optional in Calligra

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 19:54:05 GMT 2012

On 7 February 2012 20:34, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org> wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 03:09 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure about the plugin idea. Plugins are good if there are
>>> alternative means implemented supporting the same interface - here the
>>> generic local communication.
>>> Is that the case here? How about complexity that would not pay off?
>>

>> Compile switches tend to bitrot -- suddenly a particular option no longer
>> compiles or works because nobody is actually using that option anymore.
>

> We have at least Windows, OSX and Android as user. On those platforms dbus
> would be disabled per default. Also Linux-users may decide to disable dbus
> in Calligra per default too (I certainly would cause it's just not needed
> for my use-cases). So, I do not think that option could bitrot.

+1 and thanks for the extensive pro/cons list.
I would say this very decision belong to people that do the deployment
and/or integration work, not users.
Let's start to think this way: real users pray for sane defaults not
for the hell of choices then did not want. [1]
Integrators want control but then - they can typically make choices at
compile^wdeployment time.

MSTEAHTP (Make simple things easy, and hard things possible)

PS: I wish my response would be taken as more generic. I remember how
much work it took me to port most of the Calligra plugins
infrastructure to Qt4 from Qt3. The extra runtime layer/plugins
translates to extra error-prone area...

[1] Oh no this link again?
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html

--