Making dbus optional in Calligra

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Feb 7 13:52:33 GMT 2012

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Sebastian Sauer wrote:

> What I would like to do is to introduce in Calligra a way to completely
> disable any use of dbus. The target would be to 1) make Calligra compile with
> #define QT_NO_DBUS and 2) make Calligra optionally compile without support
> for dbus even if Qt-dbus is available.
>
> The idea is to address one of the issues named by Mek in his amazing
> blog-post about the port of Calligra to Android ( see
> http://blogs.kde.org/node/4521 ). The issue is that Android does not ship
> with dbus.
>
> The idea would be;
> 1. introduce a new cmake flag that allows to disable dbus Caligra wide. Per
> default dbus is enabled except Qt was compiled without support for it.
> 2. introduce #ifdef's all over Calligra to proper disable / not compile any
> code that makes use of dbus when dbus was disabled.
>
> Good idea? What do you think?

Well, Mek is the expert, but I guess it would help -- though the biggest
issues with dbus are actually in kdelibs. What would be even cooler than a
compile-time switch, though, would be to make dbus support a plugin in all
our applications, so we can just not compile/install that plugin when we
don't want dbus.

That can't be hard, I'm thinking, since most dbus usage is simply a kind
of wrapper around the view classes.

Boudewijn