a new library

Pierre Stirnweiss pstirnweiss at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:47:00 GMT 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> **
>
> On Wednesday 19 December 2012 Dec, C. Boemann wrote:
>
> > Hi
>

> > In an attempt to to rework the ui, we have run into a problem:
>

> > KoCreatePathTool in libs/flake needs some widgets from libs/widgets
>

> > however the dependency is in the opposite direction
>

> > So unless we want to move the tools into libs/widgets we need to move
> the tool
>
> > to somewhere else.
>

> > It can't be moved to a plugin as krita has some tools that inherit from
>
> > KoCreatePathTool.
>

> > My suggestion is thus that we make a new library, which I call alpine as
> it's
>
> > a superstructure to flake. This alpine library will depend on
> libs/widgets and
>
> > contain basically tools, shapes and dockers that are too important or
> generic
>
> > enough that we can't have them in plugins but need to be sure is
> available.
>

> > For now it would only contain the KoCreatePathTool but in the past I've
>
> > thought that maybe the textshape needs to be in a library instead of a
> plugin.
>

> > So what do you say?
>

> I'm fine with that -- in fact, I'm tempted to look back at the library
> split I did in the KOffice days to see whether we didn't already have
> something like that which got merged up again.
>

> On the other hand, I'm wondering whether we couldn't split up the widgets
> library between flake and kotext and remove one library altogether.
>

> --
>
> Boudewijn Rempt
>
> http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org, http://www.boudewijnrempt.nl

> Regarding the textshape, I think it should actually be split.
There is a part of the plugin which is indeed what the tool/shape design is
(cursor handling, defining actions, responding to key strokes,....). This
part should be as far as possible UI/form factor independent. I personally
think this should go into a lib. I would not advocate merging it with
kotext however, because kotext is (AFAICT) and should stay non GUI.
Then there is a part of it which is GUI stuff (even within TextTool.cpp),
this is UI/form factor dependent. I think it should be somehow organised
that way. We could have some common building bricks (like for instance
models/delegates/views, low level widgets,...), which could reside
eventually in widgets. And we could have a form factor structure still in
the plugin.

Pierre