Early file format design

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Aug 30 21:16:26 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2012, 20:44:12 schrieb Inge Wallin:
> On Thursday, August 30, 2012 16:20:01 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > On 08/29/2012 11:10 PM, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > > This mail is about designing a new file format. It will be relevant to
> > > Calligra Author and possibly also for Calligra Words if Boemann wants
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Everybody who is not interested in file formats can skip this thread.
> >
> > I'm going to throw a potential solution out there and see if it sticks.
> >
> > The solution: use ODT with RDF for anything that is missing from ODT.
> > I'll describe the details as they come up.
>
> Ok, so I have read this mail several times and I realise that I don't
> understand the implications of choosing this alternative.
>
> I have several times heard the RDF parts of Calligra described as
> "complicated" and "immature" (paraphrased) so I didn't thinkof it as an
> alternative.

I have no idea about the API/code support in Calligra, but...

> So where should I read up on how RDF, ontologies and the other Nepomuk stoff
> works?

Ignore Nepomuk for now (it's "just" an implementation and set of ontologies),
start away with what RDF and ontologies are about and used for, to get the
idea how the additional data/info which is stored using RDF is helpful,
especially for searching/querying certain data from the whole data set.

This might be good for a start: http://www.rdfabout.com/quickintro.xpd
More detailed is this: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/
(others might have better links, I just googled and quickly checked the
content of the first links returned, lazy me)

Cheers
Friedrich