UI idea: Turn the status bar into a docker (or several dockers)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 23 14:08:42 BST 2012

On 23.08.2012 15:02, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 23 August 2012 14:45, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:

>>> This is good idea observed in dynamically configured apps, e.g.
>>> Firefox and generally XUL allows the plugins to inject ui bits in such
>>> places too.
>>> I plan to have view-related actions (dependent on context/plugin used)
>>> in Kexi's statusbar for example.
>>

>> Well technically it wouldn't be a statusbar anymore, then ;) But if you can
>> inject stuff into a standard statusbar, you can shot it in a statusbar
>> docker as well, correct?
>
> Correct. And we know that too much uncontrolled flexibility could result e.g.:
> - in what we've seen in KDE 3 toolbars: buttons that cannot fit on
> screen horizontally, and thus display annoying arrow button on the
> very right hand,
> - in misaligned UI elements (sometimes a problem with nested
> QWidgets/QGroupBoxes/QLayouts).
>
> As usual it would be ideal to forget technical limitations and make
> sure with the UI and interaction is superb and by default; and take
> enough care so the user cannot 'break' the UI's usability by just drag
> & dropping.
>
> PS: Example of adaptability when an UI element is dragged onto a
> limited area is plasmoid - when dragged onto panel it changes its
> geometry and sometimes even the way how the content is presented.

Absolutely. We need dockers to realign themselves based on position anyway,
because dockers placed on top need to be aligned differently than those placed
on the sides as well.
In an ideal world, I think a docker should have a specific layout for: Top,
side, bottom and free-floating (detached). And if a docker doesn't have a layout
set for a certain position, it should not be possible to place it there.