UI idea: Turn the status bar into a docker (or several dockers)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 23 13:31:18 BST 2012

Hi everyone,
while discussing the best way to implement the word count in the Author UI, I
had an idea for the Calligra UI in general.
Flexibility is one of the key advantages of the Calligra UI. One of the few UI
parts that are currently not flexible is the status bar. That's why I asked myself:
"Why not put the the things currently displayed in the status bar in one or
several docker(s), put these dockers at the bottom by default (or maybe
someplace else if that works better for a particular application) and remove the
standard status bar?"
This would allow to keep the current layout as default while preserving maximum
flexibility. To me, this is the logical consequence of the "Flexible UI"
paradigm of Calligra.
So, what do you think about it? Did I miss any problems/downsides?
Cheers,
Thomas