[REVIEW REQUEST] Cleanup of unused or duplicated icons

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Aug 21 09:26:16 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2012, 12:26:26 schrieb JL VT:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 August 2012 Aug, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > ./krita/pics/deletelayer.png
> > > ./krita/pics/raiselayer.png
> > > ./krita/pics/lowerlayer.png
> >
> > Hm... I'm actually not sure _why_ we aren't using these icons but instead
> > the rather garish green up, down, right, left and minus icons. Does anyone
> > remember?
> >
> > I was the last person who patched our Layer Docker. My memory is vague
>
> since I did that over one year ago, but I recall I tried to reuse the icons
> we were already using. I did, however, add new ones, the left and right
> icons were selected by me; And I'm not sure if I used or not the delete
> layer icon.  I used the green left and right icons because I couldn't find
> any other icon to put there.
>
> That's what I recall.

While I personally would prefer consistency over all programs in what
icons/symbols they use for what operation, I also understand that
aesthetically some less colorful icons are more appealing, especially with
programs/tools for color-centric/full objects.

So seems these icons should not be removed but instead put back to use?
Just, if so, these icons still need some fixing, or rather need to be redone
completely anyway:
These icons are used in the code with a hardcoded size of 22x22
(setIconSize(QSize(22, 22)), But the actual icon sizes of the files are
smaller, seems they were done for 16x16 icon display:
raiselayer:  16x16
lowerlayer:  22x18 (bigger margins, actual content like others)
deletelayer: 16x16

So I would propose to still remove the existing icons raiselayer, lowerlayer,
deletelayer from the repo, because they are too small if used as they are (by
adding margins until 22x22 to the files) or look ugly if scaled to 22x22.

Reminder: When creating your custom versions of these icons, do not forget
that they need to be square (by the xdg icon spec), otherwise they will be
scaled. So always pad with transparent pixels to reach a square size :)

Cheers
Friedrich