2.6 Release Schedule

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sun Aug 19 09:57:58 BST 2012

On Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:10:14 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is the suggested schedule for 2.6:
>
> September 7th alpha tagging
> September 28th branch+beta tagging
> October 19th RC tagging
>
> Release expected early November

I have a problem with this schedule.

Calligra 2.5 was released august 13th. A release of 2.6 means that the
development time will be less than 3 months, a pretty far cry from the 4 month
schedule that was announced suggested. And since the alpha would be tagged
less than a month from the previous release there is hardly time to do any
development at all that wasn't started before the previous release.

If we get a delayed release and then don't give the following release at least
a little slack it's a clear message to anybody that has a feature cooking that
s/he should ignore bugfixing for the upcoming version and instead concentrate
on feature developmen. I don't think that's the message we want to send.

I suggest to aim for a release early december instead of early november. Or if
you want to catch up to your schedule a little then late november. But if you
do that, then I suggest to create a fixed release schedule for the whole year
so that everybody can plan according to the full schedule.