tool_formula_edit

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat Aug 11 18:05:00 BST 2012

написане Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:28:03 +0300, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at kde.org>:

> Hi Yuri,
>
> so good to see you swinging your virtual icon brush so much :)
>
> Am Samstag, 11. August 2012, 16:02:13 schrieb Yuri Chornoivan:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is the proposed icon for Formula tool pane (instead of current
>> edittext.png).
>>
>> Thanks in advance for a review.
>
> My review (sorry, I push for perfection, so nitpick quite a lot):
>
> * Potential mismatch in symbolism
> At least in Calligra the formula shape itself has the root symbol as main
> symbol in it's icon, so now using the sum symbol in the icon for the tool
> could confuse the user due to the slight mismatch.
> Does anyone know what is used as generic symbol for formulas in other
> office/report/math tools? Ideally would be something similar, so learned
> knowledge can be applied (like everyone uses the floppy disk for saving,
> even
> if young users have not even seen a real one before).

MS Equation 3.0: red alpha under square root.
MS Equation Editor 2007/2010: cyan pi with a black border
MathType: cyan big sigma with a blue border
OO.o Math/Libreoffice Math: gray button with black "a" under the square
root
Kile: blue x red = blue y
LyX: cyan big sigma with a blue border

> * does not work on all UI backgrounds
> surely there are not many people with blue backgrounds :) but the icon
> does
> not work perfectly on dark backgrounds in general, its contures are hard
> see. Ideally there would be an outline which adds a sharp contrast, so
> the
> actual icon shape can be seen with any background.
> Have not complained about this with the other missing icons, because they
> needed to match an existing match, so I ignored this problem there
> * is blue a proper color code?
> wondering why you chose blue. While it stands out and helps to discover
> the
> tool, it also makes the icon... really stand out and somehow not fitting
> the others

Most of forementioned modern editor tools have blue/cyan icons. Sans/Serif
flavors attached.

> * editing symbolism
> what about putting a small caret (the Capital-I-with-Serifs-like looking
> cursor) into the icon (behind the sum symbol in your proposal), to
> signal the
> editing? Should not make the result look to complex IMHO
> Cmp. the icon of the text editing tool

None of the known editing tools has a cursor symbol on its icon.

I attached something along with this proposal, but I think it's ugly (I am
not an artist, rather mathematician).

> So your first proposal is better than nothing, but would not make me
> happy :)
>
>> P.S. BTW if the Formula shape is not switched off as unusable, can the
>> missing Formula shape icons (sent earlier to this list) be committed?
>
> I would be happy if they are, I think they match the existing icons well
> and
> would close the holes in the Formula UI without any traces :)
> Guess they need to be LGPL'ed as well?

They are derivative work from the existing icons.