UX issues of forum.kde.org

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Apr 23 11:43:33 BST 2012

On 23 April 2012 12:10, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:55:24 +0200, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>
> wrote:
>> In particular one wish for improving UX is related to my hope for
>> having proper forum.calligra.org based on very the same database
>> (especially doable after moving to the KDE's infrastructure).
>
> We can (and could already) setup a redirection from forum.calligra.org
> to http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=203

True, but this is similar to having forum.kde.org/{kexi|krita}
(already present).
That I hope is to have calligra forums with filtered-out anything unrelated.
For 'full picture' user can still visit the heavier KDE forum.

Users mostly use selected areas of forums; from what I see in the
profile statistics, for me and many of my users
this area is Calligra.

For now we even have no common root node for all Calligra apps: Krita
is Graphics & Multimedia, Calligra is at the same level as Kexi and
KOffice. Thus I have the feeling of randomness.
(I know typically app maintainer's work to request the forum, and they
may choose not to do so).
If we can filter-out other forums it would be easier to convince
ourselves to create subforums for each app (and keep general Calligra
subforum too) and present it all on dedicated web page. This is mainly
a request to our marketing dept....

Finally, the major point against redirects: for newcomers it suggests
that the project is (in part) consisted of temporary, external and not
organized elements. A minus point at the very start vs the
competition.

Regarding the future, after looking at the statistics I am considering
dropping the kexi at kde.org list completely in favour of the forums
(plus option for delivering forum contents via email). The forums are
working great already for Kexi, and have many interesting posts
already (not just trivial requests as someone would expect). I suppose
I do not need to advertise importance of forums e.g. to the Krita team
- you're the first that started to use the forums a lot, to engage
users.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek