Calligra on Tizen and beyond

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 09:50:48 BST 2011

On 30 September 2011 10:38, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org> wrote:
> On 09/29/2011 10:42 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I've been  following a bit the Tizen communication channels to see
> what is the atmosphere and attitude. I heard someone:
>
> "I want to have enough of freedom to run my Libreoffice on the phone."
>
> Couldn't we announce willingness (not formal plan) to provide the
> office suite for Tizen assuming this is rather little effort?
> If it is not possible for any reason we would have nothing to loose.
>
> As a side effect we would demonstrate the fact that there is no way to
> provide rich smartphone functionality (closed or open) with limited
> effort and just HTML5, technology of choice which the Tizen
> announcement mentions [https://www.tizen.org].
>
> Also if there is any effort to save MeeGo in any reasonable form by
> anyone and for any sane reason, maybe we can think about supporting it
> as well.
>
> I don't mean heavy porting or UX adaptation to different guidelines or
> extra releases. I mean generic offering as "Calligra Base".
>
> What do you think?
>

> Great idea. imho we definitivly should do that. Maybe we also could make
> clear that
> 1) it's not that difficult to port QML to HTML5

Sebastian,
This isn't tricky only at first look, e.g. for calligra qml, there is
component handcrafted in qgv (for efficiency and maintainability I
guess).
This hybrid approach is a no-go for HTML5 and that's major reason why
I won't be fan of HTML5.

> 2) to get a HTML5 canvas backend done for Qt similar to what broadway does
> in GTK

IMO:  this technology needs server/backend which still would be based
on Qt, i.e. native Qt itself is needed on the device. But if there is
Qt on device, why to bother with extral layer, display bugs, debugging
trouble... Broadway is proof of concept thing.
OTOH: QML NPAPI plugin tells me more.

> 3) Calligra is highly modular and making it easy to add new user-interfaces
> (desktop vs
> mobile, (Classic) static vs (Plasma) active, QWidget vs QML, C++ vs HTML5,
> ...) was a
> design goal.

exactly, we can again present the 'engine and abstraction and more' vision

> 4) Calligra is already optimized for mobile (different form-factors,
> performance, UI vs
> logic separation) use and Calligra is *already* there!
> 6) We are better then any competition in that field and that is a fact.

Hell, yes!

BTW, is point 5) secret? ;)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek