Beta 2 tagging delay

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Sep 29 08:52:12 BST 2011

On 29 September 2011 09:22, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 September 2011, Inge Wallin wrote:
>> > For faster releases you need something like the merge windows for the
>> > kernel. The problem is that when merge happen to close the beta release,
>> > we get lots of bug reports that are not needed.
> We already have "merge window" it is called "feature freezes".
>
>> While you are right in principle, I don't think we should work with merge
>> windows before our first release.  We're currently in
>> fix-as-much-of-the-UI- as-possible-before-the-release mode, and of course
>> also fixing other bugs. Things will be different after the release of 2.4
>> is done.
> I am rather convince that our current model (or the one we aim at, ie master
> in a releasable state at all time), but it does require people to accept that
> their latest newest shiny super cool feature is less important than shipping a
> finished product to our users, and therefor merge things that are reasonnably
> ready, for which the developers don't know of any major bugs.

+1,
More frequent releases mean less pain for developers wanting to
publish new features ASAP, in advance we should indeed adhere to the
quality standards.

OTOH: Sometimes there are plugins that need stabilization but I also
want to release them ASAP. What to do?
I am starting to (only) think about having separate schedules for such
plugins. To me it's an indicator of healthy plugin ecosystem. After
all let's look at, say, firefox:
with one monolytic blob it wouldn't be the same firefox.

Of course it's harder not to break many Calligra apps if the plugin is
app-specific (as in many cases in Kexi); for flake plugins for
example, it's still a challenge to keep good quality, that needs
closer cooperation.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek