Beta 2 tagging delay

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Thu Sep 29 08:22:46 BST 2011

On Thursday 29 September 2011, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > For faster releases you need something like the merge windows for the
> > kernel. The problem is that when merge happen to close the beta release,
> > we get lots of bug reports that are not needed.
We already have "merge window" it is called "feature freezes".

> While you are right in principle, I don't think we should work with merge
> windows before our first release.  We're currently in
> fix-as-much-of-the-UI- as-possible-before-the-release mode, and of course
> also fixing other bugs. Things will be different after the release of 2.4
> is done.
I am rather convince that our current model (or the one we aim at, ie master
in a releasable state at all time), but it does require people to accept that
their latest newest shiny super cool feature is less important than shipping a
finished product to our users, and therefor merge things that are reasonnably
ready, for which the developers don't know of any major bugs. Maybe we should
have a long discussion on the development workflow at the next sprint.

Anyway, at this point we are facing with the problem of a broken krita for the
next beta, and we really only have two options:
* revert krita to the state before the merge
* push the release of the beta from one week, and hope it is enough for its
developers to fix the problems

--
Cyrille Berger Skott