Features changelog for Calligra 2.4 Beta

Arjen Hiemstra djfreestyler at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:50:34 BST 2011

On Sunday 11 September 2011 16:24:02 C. Boemann wrote:

> Calligra sees a new wordprocessor named Words. Though it has a heritage from
> KOffice's KWord it can in many ways be seen as a completly new appliction.
> We still have not addressed the user interface, and know we are not yet
> near what we want and need to achieve.
>
> Words has focused on it's textlayout engine and import filters, making it an
> excellent viewer of doc, docx and odt files. The docx is even better than
> LibreOffice is capable of.
>
> We have idetified the student/academic user as our first target user, and
> have been implementing Table of Contents, improved table support, support
> for citations and bibliography. These features even include user interface
> to some degree.
>
> Words is by no means a finished product. For document viewing and light
> editing tasks we would recommend it but the academic user writing a report
> wil not yet find it adaquate.
>
> Stay tuned for a great future for Calligra Words

It might be interesting to mention something about the new Find/Replace code
as well. Currently it is only used in Words, so it most likely makes sense to
mention it in the Words section. Reading the rest of the words bit, it seems
to also be the only bit that has a relatively finished ui. :p

- Arjen