Review of softwares and help to get projects on calligra.

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Fri Sep 9 12:25:08 BST 2011

On 09/09/2011 09:01 AM, abhijeet desai wrote:
> Hi,

and hi abhijeet desai :-)

>         Please would you review these softwares i've created. They are
> on qt and qml. The links below are of the source code incase you need
> to check. Any suggestions are welcome.
>         Also I would like to be a part of calligra. Would you suggest
> me in which projects should I contribute. What should be my plan of
> action.

It depends on what you like to work at. Both of your projects seem to be
not direct related to Calligra. We have a (rich-)text-editor already
which is heavily based on QTextDocument and friends plus lot of own code
that extends QTextDocument for our needs. The virtual keyboard
application looks rather interesting. I like that it has so less code
cause that makes it easy to understand, maintain and extend. In any case
it's not only related to Calligra cause it could be used with all Qt/KDE
applications. So, the Calligra-devel mailinglist is probably the wrong
place to ask what to do with it. I would suggest a more general
mailinglist like e.g. the kde mailinglist (
http://www.kde.org/support/mailinglists/ ). Since I know that the Plasma
developers did a lot lately to make Plasma Active (including Calligra
Active and other Active applications) proper work on other form-factors
then the desktop, it would be maybe also an idea to ask at there
mailing-list ( https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/plasma-devel ).
Also note that there seem to be quit some alternate virtual keyboards
around. So, there is competition (what is good for the users but maybe
indicates that reinventing/rewriting a new one rather the extending an
existing one wasn't the best way to go). But then I have mostly no clue
about virtual keyboards. So, maybe your implementation is just way
better then the alternates? Maybe alternates don't even support Hindi?
But then I think it's a bad idea to have one implementation per
language. One implementation that supports all languages would probably
be way more useful? In any case I guess asking at the more general kde
mailinglist and/or the plasma mailinglist may give you better feedback
on this then e.g. me is able to provide.

> https://gitorious.org/qml-text-editor

in TextEditor.desktop you have
Exec=/opt/TextEditor/bin/TextEditor
what will not work if the TextEditor is installed somewhere else.

Also you have code like
QMessageBox msgBox;
msgBox.setText("Cannot delete !!!");
what is a bad idea cause
1. it is not translated (use i18n() for KDE or tr() for Qt-only)
2. imho modal messageboxes should never be used. Better use passive (non
modal) ways like e.g. KNotification. But that's only my opinion and
others will very likely not agree.
3. text that contains "!!!!!" is as worse as making them all uppercase.

You do
indexFive=new QModelIndex;
but never call
delete indexFive;
what means it's leaking memory.
You could also create it in the stack if it's only used in that method...

> https://gitorious.org/virtual-keyboard-plugin

Looks like following links are related;
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2009-March/004544.html
http://lists.kde.org/?t=116625620100012&r=1&w=2
http://forum.kde.org/brainstorm.php?sid=0522e11b1a762beb0e51e0ba845f8a03#idea38935_page1

Also there are alternate implementations like
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Kvkbd+-+KDE4?content=94374
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Klavier?content=39416
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=101822

Hope that helped a bit.