'Single canvas presentation' - in Stage or in a new application?

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Thu Sep 8 03:29:29 BST 2011

Hello Aakriti,

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 16:47:03 Aakriti Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
> GSoC got over a few days back and after completing my exams, I am now back
> at work.

I hope all went well with your exams.

> (My project was to make a new mode in Stage for single canvas
> presentations. I made a new shape - PresentationViewPortShape and a tool
> for it. But I tested everything in Karbon alone where I could save the
> animated SVG presentation.)
>
> Now, I have a question:
> Should Stage have a new mode for this feature or should we have an all new
> app in Calligra for this?
>
>        -- Stage, being the presentation app, is the place where a user
> would come to make a presentation.

I think it should be easy to add a new mode to stage where it will use only
one page where it can work like it works now in karbon. The UI is very easy to
change and there is the possibility to e.g. show different menus for the
presentation.
This also has the benefit that we might make it possible to import a normal
presentation and convert it to a single canvas presentation.

>        -- But since the workflow is very different from making a normal
> slide show, the mode 'might' become confusing. Jean suggested we have a new
> application for this feature. But, should Calligra have a whole new app
> dedicated to this?

What do you see that might confuse the user?

>        -- In Stage I still haven't been able to work out how to save and
> load an SVG. In Karbon, afaik, a KarbonDocument is converted to an SVG.
> What should be used in its place in Stage?

Saving to svg should be easy to do if there is only one page now that the work
of Jan support for SVG is inside flake.

Thorsten