Export Kexi documentation from userbase to docbook

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sat Oct 22 22:40:59 BST 2011

On 22 October 2011 23:12, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Hi Calligra devels,
>
> we'd like to export the kexi documentation on userbase to docbook and add it
> to the calligra/doc folder for several reasons:
>
> * documentation is available without being online
> * documentation is automatically processed by scripty and then picked up by
> the translation teams -> many translated documentations (1.6.3 had 14 language
> documentations)
> * no change to your workflow, announce a release as usual on the
> translators mailing list, several doc team members are subscribed there as
> well, so the doc team will then update the svn docbook from the userbase page,
> if necessary.
>
> This worls already quite well for the documentation of parley, k3b, amarok,
> rekonq, kdevelop, kopete etc.
>
> Any comments?

Yuri already got my green light on Tuesday. And actually I am
impressed the converter has been improved. Moreover "no change to our
workflow" is great aspect!

So yes, please add to calligra/doc/kexi (and then let's revert the
kexi/kexi.desktop's X-DocPath field).

I have one rather general question, do you think updates to the
documentation have to be synchronized with Calligra/Kexi releases?
Even if there's change and no release for an app, project members
would want to extend documentation with bits they planned but just not
made it for the release for whatever reason.

I think both Calligra developers and members of the Documentation
Team(s) could express their opinion on this one.
I particularly would see liberal approach for documentation release
schedules as nice but also can accept the rule when online
documentation is ahead of the offline one.
And I am assuming there is no concept of freezing periods for online
documentation, but only expectation that it should be always made in
"stable/clean" state each time the Doc Team grabs the content for
offline releases.

Would be great to note down see some such rules that we're collecting,
as "official" - if there is anything missing.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek