Calligra on Tizen and beyond

Jos van den Oever jos.van.den.oever at kogmbh.com
Wed Oct 12 23:27:35 BST 2011

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 23:44:56 PM Jos van den Oever wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:31:56 AM Jos van den Oever wrote:

> > > I did study WebOdf a bit but now I wonder why only CSS? I mean why
> > > not some Javscript-magic that does the positioning?
> >
> > This is done partially. Some thing cannot be solved with only css. In
> > these cases, a custom attribute is added, a position calculated with css
> > and this is then used. It it not possible to do positioning directly on
> > non-html elements in all browsers; one needs to go via CSS. But the
> > logic is still done with javascript.

> > > That would be HTML6 or 5.1 then. Taken the current speed HTML
> > > and the browsers develop into account that's perfect possible.
> >
> > No, it would be a newer CSS version, HTML is irrelevant. But also in CSS
> > there is quite some movement, e.g.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/
>
> and
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-exclusions/
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cssregions/
> These really make ODF much more mappable to HTML + CSS by introducing
> advanced wrapping and pagination and frames.
> This leaves the problem of tab stops though. Some older proposal is not
> implemented, as far as i know:
> http://www.w3.org/People/howcome/t/970224HTMLERB-CSS/WD-tabs-970117.html

You can download a demo here:
  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cssregions.html
I tested the windows binary with wine. It needs to run from the 'bin'
directory in the zip.
It is very impressive. The regions and wrapping together make many ODF layouts
possible now.
Since it's based on webkit, the source code should be available too, i did not
see the link to that though.

Cheers,
Jos

--