Calligra on Tizen and beyond

Jos van den Oever jos.van.den.oever at kogmbh.com
Wed Oct 12 10:31:56 BST 2011

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:35:40 AM Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On 09/30/2011 07:04 PM, Jos van den Oever wrote:

> >> google docs is not even close to be a full-featured office suite. It's
> >> an extended text-editor
> >> on top of a relational db. The gdata-API is insufficient for anything
> >> more complex. But then
> >> that is also an advantage. They don't try to be feature-complete with
> >> MSOffice/OpenOffice/Calligra
> >> but only offer an online (and since some time even offline) richtext
> >> editor/calculator/presenter.
> >>
> >> But yes, I think that it would be possible too :-)
> >
> > There are things that are simply impossible or very hard even in HTML5.
> > For exmple consider positioning of draw:frame in a brower. The anchor
> > can be relative to paragraph, to character or to page. This distinction
> > is not so easy to do in CSS. I give this example since I've studied that
> > recently.
>
> I did study WebOdf a bit but now I wonder why only CSS? I mean why
> not some Javscript-magic that does the positioning?
This is done partially. Some thing cannot be solved with only css. In these
cases, a custom attribute is added, a position calculated with css and this is
then used. It it not possible to do positioning directly on non-html elements
in all browsers; one needs to go via CSS. But the logic is still done with
javascript.

> > What the best solution is, I cannot tell. I think that HTML5 layout will
> > become more advanced and that webodf will benefit from that.
>
> That would be HTML6 or 5.1 then. Taken the current speed HTML
> and the browsers develop into account that's perfect possible.
No, it would be a newer CSS version, HTML is irrelevant. But also in CSS there
is quite some movement, e.g.
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/