About Calligra Active and what it should intend to be

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Oct 3 14:58:15 BST 2011

On Monday 03 October 2011 Oct, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Cross posting as the topic might be of interest to both MLs)
>
> There was recently some discussion on the Active ML about Calligra Active
> and how to make the user experience better.
> Aaron Seigo had an interesting suggestion in the mail he sent [1] which
> says-
>
> "
> but imho the most important thing is for these
> projects to focus on being amazing document _viewers_.
> "
>
> I gave it a thought and realised that we need to discuss this. The reason I
> can think of is that a larger percentage of the use cases are for viewing
> the documents instead of editing them.
>
> I'd like views from the Calligra team about this, should we continue what
> we're doing now (that is, try to improve the viewing to the most we can and
> then go to editing), or concentrate only on viewing?

Go for viewer first. Integrate pdf viewing inside Calligra Active. It's not difficult, it has been done before (with Harmattan Office), and now that the N9 is shipping, that could should be made public really soon.

Then all we need to do is re-use the pdf-viewing code in Harmattan Office in Calligra active, and we've got one, great document viewer with one user interface.

But after that, I would go for adding editing functionality to Calligra Active. People are using tablets mainly for consumption, but light editing should be possible.

--
Boudewijn Rempt