results from

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Mon Nov 21 13:47:54 GMT 2011

On 11/21/2011 11:55 AM, C. Boemann wrote:

>>> Even if it won the competition it is a bad choice as there is already a
>>> spreadsheet application out there with this name. See
>>> http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/deskutils/abacus.html
>> I agree. The sucks. Also the list of names is so bad that I don't wonder
>> it wins. Even more worse now we destroyed the nice idea the brand and
>> the app names had :-(
> Uhm what did we do that destroyed some idea. Could you provide a link or
> anything?
To be more productive on this one;
As far as I remember the idea was to establish one common brand: Calligra.
That means the application-names themself should not be used
"stand-alone" like they where before. So, it's Calligra Words and not
KWord, it's Calligra Stage and not KPresenter and it's Calligra Tables
and not KSpread/Abascus.
This was iirc in the spirit of OpenOffice and Apple which choose both
rather common names like Writer, Numbers, etc. and market them with
there common brand OpenOffice/iWork/etc.

Now to the source: seems I am not able to find it in our
mailinglist-archieve. Does maybe someone else remember the discussion
back then and has an idea where it took place?