results from

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Mon Nov 21 12:37:58 GMT 2011

On Monday 21 November 2011 13:18:50 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 11:29 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> >> Sorry, where was this discussed before? At the sprint where none of
> >> those hacking on Tables participated [*]? In the mail that already
> >> included the list of possible options set in stone [**]?
> >>
> >> [*] Wasn't there once the rule that during sprints no decisions should
> >> be made cause it excludes to many non-participants?
> >
> > I'm not sure about that, but yes... It's not like anyone at the sprint
> > could decide about a new name for Tables. I understand this vote to be
> > nothing more than a vote on a selection of ideas that is then proposed
> > to the Tables team.
>
> Thanks for making the point I try to bring on the table more clear. The
> thing is that the selection of names was exactly not what we voted
> about. I am not even sure who made that list. In any case I remember
> back how we found the Calligra name and found that a very great process.
> I mean especially at something like that we could take more time and
> have a longer talk. In fact I count at least 3 people who replied to the
> initial mail that they do not agree with the process. So, I think we can
> optimize that. I mean not only for the case discussed here but just
> generally. I think we should
> 1. start with an initial discussion here on the mailinglist where
> nothing but nothing is pre-defined. Just state what is the goal, why and
> maybe add an initial list of what people think is good. And then start
> from there to see if we can find a common agreement on the list of
> names. Personally I think as more input we get as better. So, I would
> even not limit that to "only contributors" but just any name-proposal is
> a good one.
> 2. I think all that is related to this should happen at the mailinglist.
> I would even go as far to say the voting itself. But then I can
> understand that some would like to have a secret voting process. That's
> okay. But maybe some would not and they could already "vote" or at least
> bring there opinion on the table. We can then see who agrees and who
> doesn't. That doesn't any harm except maybe taking longer but then ihmo
> something like choosing a name for an application shouldn't be a
> 5-minute process.
>
> > It's up to Marijn, you and other Tables hackers to actually decide
> > whether to do anything with the result of the vote.
>
> As I wrote in my first reply I would really prefer to not do here a
> yes/no voting but get more input/feedback especially from Mek. I would
> even have preferred to get that one before we even start to vote.

But who says all of that still cant happen. And you keep calling it a vote. It
was a poll to cut down a list we compiled during the sprint. Out of that poll
comes a suggestion. You are free to make another suggestion.  In the end it's
up to Marijn. He could then perhaps set up a formal election or not. But we
don't have unlimited time until the first Calligra release, and cutting away
early ideas that never has a chance will make the rest of the discussions more
qualitative.

I must say I like the Latin derivations of Tables someone proposed too
(because it makes the name distinctive without changing too much). I respect
the poll saying most people like Abacus (I had that on top myself too). But I
also think Spreads is still eligible for further discussions, even though it
only got in second.

So to conclude: Nothing has been decided. I can only assume you have
misunderstood that.