Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Nov 16 21:01:25 GMT 2011

On 16 November 2011 17:37, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

>> > Well, both KDE and Debian are much simpler. I would like to be as close as possible to KDE with our "rules", if not exactly the same.
>> >

>> In reality KDE rules have no very cental page but is not as simple as
>> it seems to be:
>> - http://kde.org/stuff/clipart.php
>> - http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Guidelines/CIG/KDE_Logo (and
>> this is an outdated crystal logo, reported weeks ago)
>>
>> No guidelines means upside down logos for KDE is equally ok as the
>> default ones. And I wouldn't promote or even use this a sign if we do
>> not show we care about that. It's better not to define anything.
>>
>> Google for  'kde logo' images. 99% of that looks like broken identity
>> to me. Almost as bad as overusing of blue. We also made so much
>> anti-promotion ourselves by creating the random splash screens. I am
>> afraid of comparing that to GNOME.
>
> Okay, yes -- those examples are very convincing.
>
>> I have no problem with distorted calligra artwork as long as this is
>> not no longer reference to Calligra project.
>
> Hm... Do the updated guidelines allow that?

Similar idea has appeared in this thread since when we agree that we
aim for separation of the two domains: trademark for the logo and
logo's artwork. OK for LGPL or CC licensing was such suggestion that
the artwork can be distorted. I want to have this expressed in draft 3
in most easy way.
Thanks for your time.

Now this makes me thinking that the 'easy way' would be to declare the
artwork under one license and it is enough to have CC-BY-SA 3.0 and
nothing else. [side note: Not the LGPL as this license really never
was either a requirement for use in or aside of a (L)GPL software.
It's use in KDE comes from habits more than enforcing anything that is
not in free CC licenses. Artists prefer the CC after all.]

To check requirements of the most demanding group, debian-legal,
(already mentioned in the thread not once) I found out that CC-BY-SA
2.0 is not only approved by Debian Free Software Guidelines but
approved as a "big license", i.e. recommended [1].

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Creative_Commons_Attribution_Share-Alike_.28CC-BY-SA.29_v3.0

Why only CC? Interesting fact worth adding, excerpt from the CC-BY-SA
3.0 [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode]
indicating that distortion of the logo cannot be performed to
harm/alter our visual identity (intentional or not):

'4.d. Except as otherwise agreed in writing by the Licensor or as may
be otherwise permitted by applicable law, if You Reproduce, Distribute
or Publicly Perform the Work either by itself or as part of any
Adaptations or Collections, You must not distort, mutilate, modify or
take other derogatory action in relation to the Work which would be
prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or reputation. [..]'

There's noting like 'distortion' term in LGPL because it's about code,
not content.

Thus I'd like to ask if there are any objections to make the logo
CC-BY-SA 3.0 -licensed and if there are, propose voting on the logo
licensing and move to next tasks.

> Okay, about draft 2, some practical points:
>
> page 2, point 1: would Nokia be able to use the Calligra logo in the about box (if any) or promotional literature (if any) for the Harmattan Documents application? I'm not sure, but I would love seeing the logo used in connection with that app. Same for SKF: they use Calligra in their app, could they put the logo in their about box or manual? (Without the interference of the e.V. membership who are, I'm afraid, very prone to perpetual indecision.) Can I use the Calligra logo on the KO GmbH homepage to link to the calligra website? Can we use it in the experimental windows installer?
>
> Point 2 would say "yes", but then the "decided using the rules in 1." thing makes it hard to figure out. I feel this needs to be clarified.
>
> Page 3: I'd still prefer to speak about black on white, or white on suitably dark backgrounds, but I am willing to defer to Evgeny's opinion on this.

I will address these question later to make everything clear. The goal
is of course to have clear 'yes'.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek