Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Nov 16 12:40:34 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 15 November 2011 Nov, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> Nobody should be worried because of the Distribution Guidelines -
> generic rules that all you would take for granted anyway (but it's
> easy to be surprised each time someone even unintentionally breaks the
> rules; something of this sort: using custom build flags that expose
> hidden alpha features while keeping the stable version number).

I'd have to see those first before giving an opinion, for now that page is empty.

> > "Permission has been given to use the official Calligra Suite logo
> > on clothing (shirts, hats, etc) as long as they are made by a
> > Calligra developer and not sold for profit."
> >
> > I think everyone should be free to produce t-shirts and what-not with the logo and sell them, even for a profit. I'm even fine with people changing the logo, like was done for the sprint t-shirt.
> >

> The selling part is added after debian (may be indeed a dead rule
> though as noted elsewhere), so OK.

> For the modification part, I have to oppose; we probably want to vote
> or something. "Us" changing the logo is not 100% the same as changing
> the logo by 3rd parties. Enforceability of the rule is another thing
> but that is all why we're talking about the document as a guideline,
> i.e. suggestion.

I just like to see creativity everywhere -- like Evgeny showed when he designed the sprint shirt. I like playfulness, creativity and all that...

> > Page 3:
> >
> > "Alternatively solid white logo on solid black background can be
> > used when it better fits. The note about border apply to this case
> > too."
> >
> > I wouldn't demand black -- it would mean the sprint t-shirts are in violation :-). Any solid color should be fine, especially for merchandise like t-shirts.
>
> Of course thanks to KO for the sponsorship effort.

That was Nokia, for the t-shirts :-)

> Obviously I hope next time something can be done without a need for
> distorting the logo. The current t-shirts design (
> http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/calligra_2011_2_group_foto.jpg ) breaks
> most basic guideline point used in any branding based on visual
> identity.

Yet it was done by the author of the logo, so it must fit within his creative vision.

> I have just not seen the t-shirt before while constructing
> the guidelines (that have no novel parts anyway, all of it is
> standard). This time artistic vision prevailed. Good thing is the
> solid white color - it's compliant :)
>
> If it is surprising to someone I criticize things this way, look at
> all the versions of Qt t-shits. Qt logo kept intact there since it's
> #1 rule, anyone wanting to have logo and not just graphical template.
> Artists still can express their creativeness as it can be observed
> e.g. on the QtCS t-shirt ( http://twitpic.com/5cs05n/full - the Qt
> logo is used at the back, not distorted, no 'noise'). (BTW: They have
> the 'Code less...' text as optional and we can have "Engine" text or
> any other added too and published within the guidelines.
>
> Exception for t-shirts with solid dark (or very light) background and
> contrasting colors is an option. Solid color and not, say, flower
> pattern in the background.

Okay, I could go with that, as a guideline, for sure.

> > Page 4:
> >
> > "Always reproduce the complete Calligra Suite logo as the
> > electronic artwork provides. Do not alter the logo in any way. Do
> > not redesign it, redraw, animate. Do not alter the proportions of
> > the logo or rotate it or render it three dimensions. Do not use any
> > part of the logo as a decorative element, background, or pattern."
> >
> > I'd be fine with patterns, backgrounds or using it as decoration -- why not?
>
> Because we're looking at logo, not graphics template provided for
> creating variations on the topic.
> I give an example: after first look at the sprint t-shirt (
> http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/calligra_2011_2_group_foto.jpg ) it is
> not instantly obvious it's all about Calligra, since there is no logo
> with the full clearance zone as defined by the guideline that
> separates logo from the artwork. The added pilcrow (ΒΆ) is geeky at
> first sight, it makes the t-shirt in fact sprint t-shirt, not official
> Calligra t-shirt, and that was the goal I think.
>
> I did somehow explain why would we want to restrict ourselves - to
> introduce and maintain identity. Either we provide artwork for any
> 'creations' - then there is no logo or we build up identity helping
> creative people use it without distorting.
>
> Please note that the language is not perfect. It may even sound as if
> there is implied threat for punishment. I have never had this in mind.
> Regarding the text, this was a start and I corrected it above thanks
> to your notes.
> Let's think about all this text as a guideline, advice and request for
> 3rdparties with assumed good will.

Right -- let's have a new version -- I'm not closing my mind to any of this. Just registering a preference for simplicity, openness and creativity.

--
Boudewijn Rempt